(The Work of Regeneration)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:16-18
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12
A. A Gift Not a Reward:
For by Grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2: 8-9
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23
B. Result of the Born-Again Experience:
Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3:1-8, you must be born again
We receive a new heart: Ezekiel 36:25-27
We become a New Creation: 2 Corinthians 5:17
C. The Work of Christ on the Cross was complete:
Jesus took on Himself the judgment for all sin and died in our place. He satisfied the payment required to redeem man from the penalty of sin.
(Gal 3:13; 2 Cor. 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24)
Salvation is complete on three tenses (3 P’s):
Past – Saved from the penalty of sin – Acts 16:31 Present – Saved from the power of sin – Romans 8:13
Future – Will one day be saved from the presence of sin– Titus 2:11-13, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Steps to Salvation
The born-again experience comes as a result of our confession of faith and belief in Who Jesus is at what He did for us.
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:9, 10
Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God John 1:12 [NIV]
Evidence of Salvation:
A. The inward evidence of salvation is the direct witness of the Spirit. (Romans 8:16)
B. The outward evidence to all men is a life of righteousness and true holiness. (Ephesians 4:24, Titus 2:12)
C. Developing and Walking in the Fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22, 23)
Examples of the Evidence of Salvation:
Hearing God’s Word
1. He that is of God heareth God’s words (John 8:47).
2. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. (John 10:27).
Love for God’s Children
1. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. (1 John 3:14)
2. But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another. (1 Thessalonians 4:9).
A New Outlook or Perspective on Life
1. Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. (Romans 6:4)
1. Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. (Roman 5:1)
2. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:27)
The Leading of God
1. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (Romans 8:14)
2. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:13)
1. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)
What Happens at the Moment of True Belief?
A. That person is spiritually “born again” (John 3:3-7)
B. They have now become a child of God (1 John 3:1)
C. God almighty is now their Father (Romans 8:15, 16)
D. They become a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)