Baptism With/In the Holy Spirit (Empowerment After Regeneration)
John the Baptist said in Matthew 3:11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Ghost and fire”.
Jesus said in Acts 1:5 says, ‘for John baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now”. [NASB]
The Baptism with/in the Holy Spirit is a ‘second’ experience with the Holy Spirit available for every born-again Believer. This experience gives the Believer the ‘power ability’ to accomplish God’s assignment, and to do ‘the greater works’.
The Believer’s Power: Authority [exousia] and Ability [dunamis]
• Salvation Power [exousia – right, privilege, authority] – this is the authority given at salvation to become a child of God John 1:12, 13; 3:5-7, 4:14
• Holy Ghost Power [dunamis – might, an inherent ability, a capability to perform anything] this is the ability given to Believers to work the works of God. Acts 1:8
3 Baptisms spoken of in scripture:
• Water – symbolic of Believers identifying with the death, burial & resurrection of Christ Matt. 28:19; Romans 6:4-7
• Baptism of the Holy Spirit – when Holy Spirit places New Believer into the Body of Christ Colossians 1:13, I Cor. 12:13, John 20:21, 22, Ephesians 4:4-6, Rom 6:3
• Baptism with/in the Holy Spirit – when Jesus ‘dips’ or ‘pours out the Spirit of God’ on the Believer Matt. 3:11, Acts 1:8; 10:38; 11:17, John 7:37-39
Purpose of the Baptism with the Holy Spirit:
• Power [dunamis] – Acts 1:8a
• To be a witness – Acts 1:8b
• Know the mysteries of God – I Corinthians 2:10-16
• Destroy the work of the enemy – Acts 10:38
• Confuse the opposers – I Corinthians 14:2
• Cleansing, purging, separating – Matthew 3:11
• Strengthens commitment – Ephesians 5:18-21, Jude 20, 21
• Strengthens fellowship – James 4:5
How to receive the Baptism with the Holy Spirit:
• Must be born-again – Acts 2:38, 39
• Ask for it – Luke 11:9-13
• Receive by faith – Hebrews 11:1, 6
• Expect to speak in tongues – Acts 2:1-4; Isaiah 28:11, 12
According to the Word of God, something visible happened when people received the Baptism in the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:3: They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the spirit enabled them.
Acts 8:15-18: When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
What sign did they see or hear to let them know that they had received the Holy Spirit?
Acts 10:44-46 : While Peter was still speaking these words; the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.
10 REASONS WHY BELIEVERS SHOULD SPEAK IN TONGUES
1. Tongues are the initial sign of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit Acts 2:1-4; 8:14-21; 10:44-46; 19:1-7
2. Tongues are for spiritual edification I Corinthians 14:4, 14
3. Tongues remind us of the Spirit’s indwelling presence
John 14:16, 17 I Corinthians 3:16; 6:19, 20 II Corinthians 1:21, 22
4. Praying in tongues will keep one’s praying in line with the Will and Word of God Romans 8:26-28
5. Praying in tongues stimulates faith Jude 20
6. Praying in tongues keeps us free from worldly contamination
I Corinthians 14:28 – we are communicating silently with God I Corinthians 6:17 – one spirit with God
Philippians 4:8, 9 – think on these things
7. Praying in tongues enables us to pray for the unknown
John 16:13, 14 Romans 8:26 I Corinthians 2:10-13
8. Praying in tongues gives spiritual refreshing Isaiah 28:11, 12
9. Tongues are for giving thanks I Corinthians 14:15-17
10. Speaking in tongues brings the tongue under subjection Proverbs 6:2 Galatians 6:7, 8 Colossians 4:6 James 3:8 I Peter 4:11